Tuesday, October 9, 2007

WAIT UNTIL DARK



I can remember watching this movie - which scared me to death - when I lived in Toronto, years after it first came out. It was late at night, I lived by myself, I have this feeling it was in the winter so it was (or felt) especially dark.

Audrey Hepburn is blind and she's on her way home from a trip and a drug dealer puts something in the doll she's bringing home.

She lives in a basement apartment in New York and I think the reason it felt so incredibly scary to me was that I lived in a ground floor apartment at the time, I was about Audrey's age, though I hadn't just flown home from Paris and I wasn't married.

But still, this is probably the scariest movie I ever saw and it wasn't scary because it was violent or because there were ghosts or the devil or some big evil, it was scary because it was incredibly suspenseful.

The bad guy keeps showing up in Audrey's life as she maneuvers her way around her apartment, around the city, and she's blind. I still can't think of anything more frightening...

She couldn't see him, she didn't know he was following her, but things kept moving in her apartment, things kept happening that she couldn't understand.

You need to see this movie if you like suspense - but don't watch it by yourself late at night, okay? I'd never do that again. I have watched it since the first time but I either watch it in the daytime or with someone else. Too scary for me.

Kate

13 comments:

Tam G. said...

I'll be sure and check it out, but I won't be alone when I watch it.

Susan said...

I love this movie! It is such a good psychological thriller.

ChristyJan said...

Oh...I remember this movie! And, it is one of the most scariest movies I've ever seen too. I was still a child in 1967, so I didn't watch it then, but I do remember watching it late at night on television. It's a great psychological thriller.

Unknown said...

I have seen this movie it is good. I like to watch movies like this. I guess I just like the thrill.

bettye griffin said...

This is a wonderful movie, a prime example of how a movie can be scary without being a gore-fest.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I 'll make sure I do not watch it alone.

ruth said...

I saw this movie in the theatre many years ago when I was young. It is the best and memorable.

Shirley Hailstock said...

It was on this morning. When I got up to dress for work, WAIT UNTIL DARK, was on. I watched it. I haven't seen it in years and I forgot how beautiful Audrey Hepburn was. I always wanted to have a neck like her, that looked great in turtle-neck sweaters. i want to be as thin as she was and have those wonderful eyes.

With all that beauty, she could act too.

Shirley

Lily said...

I have seen it and liked it only because Hepburn was so amazing in it!

Nathalie said...

I have never seen it... mainly because it is a scary movie... and I know I am very easily scared!

Joan said...

Wait Until Dark was a great movie. I didn't think it was too scary. Great acting.

ellie said...

I did see this movie when I was much younger and went with a friend. We both enjoyed it and it was so well done.

diane said...

I saw it and thought it was fabulous. The mood was intense throughout.