Monday, November 26, 2007

A Day (Days, actually) in the Life...

I don't have to tell you: the annual post-Thanksgiving, pre-Christmas madness is upon us. And it's getting crazy out there. Add to that, a bunch of back to back trips I've planned for some reason smack in the middle of the holiday season, and I'm almost certifiable already.

I'm also getting ahead of myself here.

First, I do want to tell you about a special Thanksgiving day this year. My husband and I flew to New York (one of those trips I mentioned) then drove to Connecticut to spend the holiday with our younger son, his delightful new in-laws and brand-new wife. Kim cooked a truly delicious meal: tender turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce, homemade whipped potatoes, fresh asparagus, green beans, and rolls plus a heavenly sweet potato souffle that melted in my mouth. I must get her recipe. Our contribution to the feast? A store bought pecan pie (I wasn't near my own kitchen) that tasted like a New Orleans praline (I'm drooling again) and an apple-cranberry pie that managed to be both tart and sweet. Believe me, no one went hungry!

Good thing we had all taken a walk before dinner. Afterward we sprawled happily in the living room to re-watch the excellent pictures from the wedding in August and the honeymoon photos of Paris. Ooh-la-la. Right now I wish I was there. Well, I always wish I was there...but today I spent hours and hours at the mall instead.

It was raining and raw outside, and I'm not like Sophie Kinsell's Shopaholic character. No, I don't hate to shop, but I don't love--or crave--it either, especially in a crowd. Because I'm leaving for San Francisco shortly, however, I needed to get a big head start on my Christmas shopping. A large portion of my family lives out of state, in quite a few states, and I'm always under the gun at this point, trying to finish the gift buying, the wrapping, and the shipping of boxes before the last-minute rush begins at the post office and UPS.

I did pretty well today. I have about half my gift buying done and hope to complete more tomorrow, including something for Chirps, my "grand kitty," and Cooper, my "grand dog."

I may not love to shop, but I do love the excitement, the anticipation, and the trappings of Christmas--especially Christmas trees. Every year I buy a new one for my little collection, and what do you know? Today Target had a gorgeous tabletop tree with fruits and nuts on it that I just had to get. All in all, a good day. Progress.

I'll be enjoying Christmas--and another beautiful tree--with my older son and his family this December, and I can't wait to see them. Another special time.

All I need to do beforehand is finish that shopping, wrapping, sending, then write some notes for the Christmas cards I haven't bought yet...you know the seasonal drill.

I'm sure we're all in the same boat. Between trips to the mall, I think I'll de-stress in front of a cozy fire with a good book, a cup of frothy hot chocolate, and a pair of warm, fuzzy slippers. Ahhh. Won't you join me?

12 comments:

Michele L. said...

Hi Leigh,

I agree with the aww....in front of the cozy fire reading a good book with a cup of good chocolate. I have got some xmas shopping done but not a whole lot yet. My girlfriend and I have planned a date to go and do some damage! Shopping that is! I love to shop but it gets harder every year. What do you buy and how much do you spend? Well, when I get stressed out, look out, because I flop down in front of the t.v. or read a good book.

Merry Christmas! Many blessings to you and your family!
Hugs,
Michele

pearl said...

It sounds so appealing to have that wonderful fire going, an intriguing book to read and my herbal tea with lemon and scones. That is my favorite winter setting. I try to avoid shopping, and crowds. Happy holidays and all the best.

ruth said...

I won't be shopping this year due to time and money contraints but that lovely atmosphere by the fire certainly sounds appealing, with a tempting novel, a hot cocoa and soft music by Patrizio Buanne. Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy.

Cherie J said...

That cup of hot chocolate in front of the fire with a good book sounds like a great way to unwind to me. I am almost done with my shopping. Just got to wrap those gifts, get the Christmas cards done as well as the cookie baking. Hard for me to find time to relax since I have a one year old and 4 year old to care for as well as doing all these extra tasks but the look on their faces on Christmas Day will make it all worthwhile.

diane said...

I completed my shopping earlier this fall so I am relieved about that. Now I can relax and enjoy a hot latte, a juicy book and my cute doggie by my side. Best wishes, and happy holidays.

Lily said...

I have also decided not to shop... only for the essentials due to time issues... but there will be a lot of eating!!

Unknown said...

I would love to join you. I am also looking forward to Christmas but mostly spending time with my family that is the best part of Christmas.

Nathalie said...

Funny post... it would be good to be like Becky to shop for christmas!

Susan said...

I finished my shopping early! No stores for me, I did it all online and had everything delivered by my very nice looking UPS man.

Enjoy your Christmas with your older son and his family!

Unknown said...

Does leaving a comment on someone's blog count as a posting?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

cherio1 said...

I have been shopping all year what with 19 grandchildren!lol However, I relieve my stress a lot by reading a good book along with a bowl of freshly popped popcorn.